Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Lust for Life Bass Line

With Lust for Life opening with maybe the most famous and copied bass lines of all time I thought I would take a deeper look at it. From what I could find this originated with James Jamerson (w/ the Funk Brothers creating the equally impressive drum line) for the Supreme's Can't Hurry Love. Iggy, Jet, Tom Petty, The Decemberists,and Arcade Fire are the bands I can think off the top of my head that have gone to this well.

I think the line has proved timeless, and most of these tributes to the line are great songs in there own right. Iggy's amazing rythem section really brings some new life to it.

I can't really call myself a bass player if I don't at least try to rip it off myself. Here is my take on the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment